I love clothes~

Shop 50s inspired dresses, beautiful skirts and other fun clothes for women

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Seashell Christmas Ornament ~

Seashells have been a favorite decor item of mine for some time now. When it was time to decorate the tree this year, I began my hunt to find anything beachy to put on the tree. I looked at many stores with no luck. Then I had a light bulb moment and took what I had beachy at the house and made my own ornaments. It's so super easy, even the kids made one. Here is the tutorial. Hope you enjoy and Merry Christmas!

Find a box of plain and light weight ornaments. I used these because they were the cheapest I found at my local craft store.

Purchase a bag of small shells. The small ones seem to work better but any variety will do, just make sure you love the way they look!
I used a hot glue gun to attach seashells to ball. Place them as close together as you can. Don't worry about the small gaps in between, we will fix that in a minute. Once you have the whole ornament covered it will look like this.


Now its time to fill those holes. I used decoupage glue. It dries clear. I was going to use Elmer's but was unable to find it. I'm wondering if I would even reccomend the Elmer's glue, after how well the decoupage glue worked out. I think anything would work as long as it dries clear. I placed a piece of newspaper underneath this part of project to catch any of my mess. Once you have a section with glue began to sprinkle sand. Don't be frugal here. Sprinkle heavily! Repeat until completely covered in cracks and crevasses with sand. Allow to dry.





Once your ornamnet is dry attach a bejewled hook and now you have the SEA on your Christmas tree!



Enjoy~ Jamie

14 comments:

  1. Wow! You are a Christmas crafting genius! So glad I found your project via Centsational Girl.

    Please stop by for a visit to my blog. I am currently in the midst of a Gifts to Make series.

    Be Merry and Bright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Laura! So appreciate your kind words! I will hop over for a visit to check out your blog and I'm excited to see your gift making series!
    Love the "Be Merry and Bright"~ I think I will~:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this ornament - would go great on my Silver, Sea & shells Table!! Following along!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, I agree, it would make a sweet little addition. Email me your address and I'll make one for you! :) Thanks so much for following by the way~ I'm realizing that this blog world is full of a bunch of sweet people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Patty~ Thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment. I hopped over for a visit to your place and enjoyed my stay. I'm a follower~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful and well done! Such a clever and stylish idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ann~ Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving the sweet comments. I stopped by your place and loved the Silver Button Bling Ball. Gorg~

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so lovely! It would be easy enough for me to pick up a bag full of shells from the beach. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Maya, thank you for your sweet comments. The shells from the beach would be perfect for this project. The smaller shells seem to work best. Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for linking this gorgeous, and sooo creative post to "What's It Wednesday". I passed it on to a friend who is doing a beach themed tree and she just loved it, too!
    Hope to see you again this week. It's not a party without you!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Patty, thanks for your compliments. I really like the way they turned out as well. I'm calling my tree, a nautical trip back in time. It has a victorian feel to it. I'll be at the party on Wednesday! See you then! Jamie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it. It is so adorable. Thank you so much for sharing. I have enjoyed looking around your special place. I will follow on my way out so as I can keep in touch. I hope you will find the time to pop over to my place soon and do the same. Whilst I am here I would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas and look forward to engaging and supporting you more in the New Year! Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Special K, you are such a dear heart! I thank you for your kindness! I wanted to let you know I am a follower of your blog as well. Your blog is very upbeat and inspirational. I enjoyed my time there. Merry Christmas to you as well and cheers for a Happy and Blessed New Year. Jamie :)

    ReplyDelete

adsense